“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ~ R. Buckminster Fuller
**Please note that we’ve now added an additional (optional) day at Hub Melbourne for concept development and implementation planning. Taking inspiration and ideas and turning them in to action.**
You can register for the optional Gathering 11 Workshop on Day Three here (limited spaces).
Gathering ’11: To Build Better Futures brings together leading thinkers, change-makers and collaborators from across Australia and around the world for three days to explore what’s possible, and develop ideas on how we can best solve today’s most pressing social and environmental challenges.
The Big Questions
We’re coming together to ask:
How might we tap into the potential of emerging technologies, networks, and systems to co-create a thrivable new world?
Where are the opportunities – and what do we need – to build pathways toward a new economy, a cleaner environment, resilient communities, and a happier planet?
What can we all do to build better futures?
Why you should join us at Gathering ’11
If you’re wanting to live a life, or start a business, or bring people together in ways that make a real difference, than you should join us at Gathering ‘11.
We’ve created a program to support the emergence of radical innovation and creativity with the intention to inspire implementable ideas that can effect real change and build foundations for better futures. Come to Gathering ‘11 to learn how you can do things like:
- Bring your community together to address climate change and ensure low-carbon, secure energy futures.
- Start your own enterprise that has a positive social impact and helps those in need.
- Build your own business that thrives from providing goods and services with real meaning.
- Develop your own systems that enable a shift in the way that people buy, consume and lessen their impact on our precious planet.
- Organisations that connect people who want help with people that need it.
- Design your own online platform for open participation to facilitate creative problem solving for today’s big challenges.
- Make a living and a difference by being creative and sharing your passion.
For the inaugural Gathering we have an outstanding lineup of featured participants from across the not-for-profit, corporate, community, academic and government sectors including:
- John Hagel: co-chair Deloitte Center for the Edge (USA) and co-author of The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
- Michel Bauwens: Belgian technologist, theorist and researcher on culture and business innovation and founder of the Peer to Peer Foundation (Thailand).
- Adam Bandt: the Federal Member of Parliament for Melbourne, and first Australian Greens MP to be elected to the House of Representatives (Melbourne).
- Venessa Miemis: futurist, digital ethnographer and writer at Forbes. Blogger at Emergent by Design, founder of Open Foresight and producer of The Future of Money (USA).
- Pete Williams: social web revolutionary and CEO of Deloitte Digital. Helped rebuild Flowerdale after the 2009 Victorian bushfires and is #hannahsdad (Melbourne).
- Kate Carruthers: Marketer, technologist, educator, blogger. Co-Chief Changemaker at Social Innovation Sydney (Sydney).
- Christine Egger: champion of social innitiatives and former Co-Director of Social Actions (USA).
- Stephen Johnson: Social Enterprise Evangelist and Community Catalyst. Head of Social at Community Engine (Melbourne).
- Nick Allardice: Australian Country Director Change.org, co-founder Live Below the Line and former General Manager Oaktree Foundation (Melbourne).
- Jean Russell: collaboration catalyst and founder of thrivable.org and thrivable.net (USA).
- Kristin Alford: Futurist and communicator at Bridge8. Exploring the role of science & technology, in innovation, economic development, social change and sustainability (Adelaide).
- Tim Longhurst: Futurist, speaker, minimalist and activist (Sydney).
- Ehon Chan: Researcher, teacher and change agent. Co-founder News Unlimited and YESBrisbane, Board Member at PlanBig (Melbourne).
An innovative program using the World Café process, Open Space Technology and drawing from the methodology of Improv, Presencing and Theory U, our intention is to provide a space and experience that supports the emergence of socially innovative and transformative ideas, and is a platform for their development in to implementable projects and enterprises.
Gathering ’11 Day One: Experiencing & Noticing
Saturday 11 June – Abbotsford Convent
- World Cafe Session 1
- Keynote Presentation from John Hagel
- World Cafe Session 2
- Lightning Talks with Michel Bauwens, Pete Williams, Jean Russell, Donnie Maclurcan, Adam Bandt
- Open Space Participant Led Session 1
- Lightning Talks with Tim Longhurst, Venessa Miemis, Kristin Alford, Ash Donaldson, Kerry Graham
- Open Space Participant Led Session 2
Gathering ’11 Day Two: Envisioning & Ideating
Sunday 12 June – Abbotsford Convent
- Lightning Talks with Kate Carruthers, Marigo Raftopolous, Ehon Chan, Nick Allardice, Benny Callaghan
- Envisioning & Designing Pathways to Better Futures
- The Art of Collaboration & Cocreation
- Cocreating Foundations for Better Futures
- Big Ideas: The Pitch
Gathering ’11 *Optional* Day Three: Concept Development & Implementation Planning Workshop (FREE)
Monday 13 June – Hub Melbourne
- Developing Concepts & Plans for Implementation from Gathering ’11 Day Two
- Big Plans: The Pitch
*Please register for the free optional workshop here.
At Gathering ‘11 we will share insights, explore thoughts, develop ideas and lay down the foundations to build better futures for all, together. Join us.
Check out Gathering ’11 online here
Please follow us on twitter and join our facebook page for some great content, discussions andannouncements coming soon.